Canada. Financial Consumer Agency of Canada

Service: Cashing your Government of Canada Cheque for Free

Add Record Add Record | Suggest Update | Print Version (New Window)
Contact Information
Office Phone Calls from the Ottawa area or from outside Canada 613-960-4666
Toll Free Phone English 1-866-461-3222 * French 1-866-461-2232
TTY Phone Toll free 1-866-914-6097 * for calls from the Ottawa area or from outside Canada 613-947-7771
Fax Toll free 1-866-814-2224 * for calls from the Ottawa area or from outside Canada 613-941-1436
Primary Executive Lucie Tedesco, Commissioner
Alternate Executive Brigitte Goulard, Commissioner Assistant
Address & Map
427 Laurier Ave W, 6th Flr
Ottawa, ON K1R 1B9
View Google Map
Physical Access Fully Accessible
Description & Services
Description (Service) Under Canadian law, you have the right to cash your Government of Canada cheque (less than $1,500) for free at any bank branch in Canada that has tellers, even if you are not a customer. Identification is required. 
The bank can refuse to cash a Government of Canada cheque for you if the cheque is for more than $1,500 or if the bank believes the cheque is fraudulent. 
If the bank won't cash your cheque: 
1. Ask the bank for a letter saying it will not cash your cheque. By law, the bank must give you this letter and also tell you how to contact Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC); 
2. Tell the bank you want to make a complaint. By law, all banks must have a complaint-handling process; 
3. Call FCAC.
Hours Mon-Fri 8:30 am-5 pm
Areas Served Canada
Eligibility No restrictions
Application To cash your cheque you need to show one piece of original identification (ID) with both your photo and your signature * if you don't have any ID with both your photo and your signature, you will have to show two pieces of original ID * if you only have one piece of ID, but it doesn't have both your photo and signature: you can show only one piece of ID if you also have someone at the bank whom you know and can confirm that you are who you say you are 
Acceptable pieces of ID include: a Canadian Driver's license * a Social Insurance Number (SIN) card * a Canadian Birth Certificate * a provincial health insurance card (except in Ontario, Prince Edward Island or Manitoba) * a current Canadian Passport * a debit card or bank card that has your name and signature on it * a Canadian credit card that has your name and signature on it * an Old Age Security card * a Certificate of Indian Status * a current passport from another country * a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certification of Naturalization * a Permanent resident Card or a Citizenship and Immigration Canada Form IMM 1000, IMM 1442 or IMM 5292 * there are other forms of ID you can use, call for details
Languages English ; French
Fees None
Bus Route Notes OC Transpo OC Travel Planner or Route Timetable
Other Details
Legal Status (40) Federal Government
Date Updated 29 Oct 2017
Service Categories Banking Services Information and Support ; Government Consumer Protection Agencies

For Information on non-emergency social service programs contact 211 available to answer your questions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Data provided by Volunteer & Information Quinte 613-969-8862.

Every effort is made to ensure that the information in this database is accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive. Volunteer and Information Quinte and its partners cannot assume liability resulting from errors or omissions. Inclusion or omission of a program or service is not a comment on its quality. Brought to you by VOLUNTEER AND INFORMATION QUINTE and CIOC