Canada. Canada Learning Bond

Add Record Add Record | Suggest Update | Print Version (New Window)
Contact Information
Office Phone Toll free 1-800-622-6232 (1-800-O-CANADA)
TTY Phone Toll free 1-800-926-9105
Address & Map
Gatineau, QC
View Google Map
Mailing Address c/o The Canada Education Savings Program, Employment and Social Development Canada 
140 promenade du Portage, Mailstop: Bag 4 
Gatineau, QC K1A 0J9
Physical Access Not Applicable
Description & Services
Description (Service) Money that the Government of Canada deposits into a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) to help parents save for a child's education after high school. The Government can deposit up to $2,000. 
A RESP is an education savings account set up with a financial institution like a bank or a credit union, or group plan dealer. The money in the RESP will grow tax free until it can be used for expenses related to their studies in apprenticeship programs, CEGEPs, colleges, trade schools, or universities. A RESP can stay open for 35 years; this means the child can still use the Canada Learning Bond (as well as any Canada Education Savings Grant and provincial education savings incentives) in the RESP if they decide to delay their studies after high school until later in life.
Hours There are no office hours
Areas Served Canada
Eligibility Children born on or after January 1, 2004; who are residents of Canada; who have a valid Social Insurance Number; and who are from low-income families. 
Beginning July 1, 2017, eligibility is based, in part, on the number of qualified children and the adjusted income of the primary caregiver. 
Children in care, for whom a Children's Special Allowance is payable, automatically qualify for the Canada Learning Bond.
Application Individuals applying on behalf of a child must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for themselves and for the child and then open a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP), through an approved RESP promoter (click here for the list of promoter). Once the application is approved, the Government of Canada will directly deposit the Canada Learning Bond into the RESP every year that the child is eligible.

Visit the website for more details.
Languages English ; French
Fees None
Other Details
Legal Status (40) Federal Government
Date Updated 13 Aug 2018
Service Categories Student Financial Aid

For Information on non-emergency social service programs contact 211 available to answer your questions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Data provided by Volunteer & Information Quinte 613-969-8862.

Every effort is made to ensure that the information in this database is accurate, up-to-date, and comprehensive. Volunteer and Information Quinte and its partners cannot assume liability resulting from errors or omissions. Inclusion or omission of a program or service is not a comment on its quality. Brought to you by VOLUNTEER AND INFORMATION QUINTE and CIOC